Ready 2 Learn is a countywide collaborative effort promoting quality early learning. Vital partners include the six public school districts, Adams County Head Start, state regulated early learning centers and home day care providers, private nurseries and preschools, Child Care Information Services of Adams County, Adams County Library System, HACC Gettysburg, civic organizations, businesses, community agencies serving children and families, and the PA Office of Child Development and Early Learning (OCDEL).
Representatives from several of these organizations serve on the our team and guide activities to accomplish the following priorities:
• Provide Parent and Community Education about the importance of early learning by creating and distributing free early learning materials and practical suggestions for everyday learning opportunities; by participating in community events; through public speaking engagements; coordinating community activities; and facilitating the Family Engagement Subcommittee. This newly created subcommittee will help guide R2L's family outreach efforts.
• Coordinate School Readiness and Transition Activities within the county through facilitation of the School Readiness Transition Subcommittee, comprised of kindergarten teachers and/or administrators representing the six public school districts, early learning educators, and other partners. The committee addresses issues facing children as they transition to kindergarten, and plans our “Bridging the Gap” Seminar—the only yearly opportunity for all six school districts and early learning educators to come together and collectively work on school readiness planning.
• Collaborate with early learning educators and home day care practitioners to ensure children receive quality early learning experiences by involving them in Ready 2 Learn activities and providing information and opportunities for quality professional development.
• Engage business and other community partners in early learning efforts by showing it makes good business sense for them to invest in early learning and presenting to business groups and organizations.
• Promote Pennsylvania’s Early Childhood Education Initiatives such as Keystone STARS, a criteria rating system that rewards state regulated child care practitioners providing quality early learning experiences, Pennsylvania Pre-K Counts, and PA’s Promise for Children.
• Share information on the Benefits of Quality Early Education with families, businesses, schools, community leaders, legislators, early care, and education practitioners.
For additional information about Ready to Learn, contact MJ Duffy, Ready to Learn Community Coordinator by phone at (717) 334-5809 x26 or 1 (866) R2L-UWAC toll free, or email her at email@example.com.